Monday, September 3, 2012

Summer Skin


Summer Skin
Ink + Digital
2012

The other image I did for Lovechild and posted everywhere else but my blog. I had to go off the theme of Summer and magic vs. the mundane. For me summer is walking home from school on really hot days and listening to the cicadas while I yearn for air conditioning. Once a couple of years ago I saw my very first cicada shell while walking home and it was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. It really grossed me out.
This whole summer though I've been on the shedding kick where somethings popping out of something else or skin's peeling away to expose new life. There really is something magical about losing your old self to become something new, yet for things like cicadas, butterflies and snakes this process is so common. It's just a stage in their lives. 
Plus, lets face it, every summer we shed our old school/ winter selves for brand new summer skin, fresh and ready for the sun.

I'm also happy that I caught a sort of heat in the picture. To me at least I can feel the summer heat from the picture, almost in that uncomfortable suffocating sort of way. I really want to express emotions and feelings in my art. It's one challenge to communicate a clear idea through a picture and a whole other to express an emotion to someone just through images. 


Left: Original ideas
Right: Ink drawing before digital work

No comments:

Post a Comment